Thursday, September 7, 2017

VIdeo games-the silent killer.

I read an article the other day that said something along the idea that more and more kids are having a hard time focusing at school. They are exhausted at the end of the school hour and it isn't because of physical activity, their brains are so tired from thinking. (This is my take away for the article) So many kids are on electronics now days and they don't have to think much past the next level of a game. When the brain does have to work at school it is physically exhausting and exhausted kids can mean cranky kids. We are raising up weak kids and we don't even see it because the results are not immediate.
Parents say- "But my kid cries when I take away the iPad....video game...etc"
That is called an addiction and you are the parent. I 100% believe that you want the best for them and if they were being attacked you would fight with every single fiber of your body to protect them  so why not fight for them now?
Prep their hearts and minds before the actual time you take the device  away. Prep activities for them to do.⬅️ This is the kicker for so many parents, prepping things for their kids to do. We live in a world that is racing full steam ahead like a raging river and there is no time for a leisurely swim or floating. Maybe we as parents need to set boundaries for our own mind growth and rest.
(Example➡️) Tell the kids....tell your self...."Starting every Tuesday, we are not doing electronics past 5:00 pm." You might have to set a small goal like this for a couple of weeks. Maybe you are a go big or go home person and just want to rip the band-aid off fast and need to start for the beginning -no electronics past 5 pm every day- Start small or Start big, just start.
Next, put your kids to work 😉
What I mean is get them active in something creative.
Maybe make a fort in your living room and leave it up for 3 days. I have found that my kid's imagination grows with the more consecutive days they are using it. Video games one day and imagination the next day and back to video games just seems to make them have a bad attitude on the imagination days and that is no fun for anyone.
Buy water colors, cheap plastic cutting boards (to put the paper to paint on), and white printer paper or coloring books and let them go to town on painting. Watercolor is a super easy clean up.
Set up their action figures or stuffed animals in an epic battle or tea party, set the stage for imagination to kick.
Last point: i know we are all busy parents, I have 5 kids so I get it. The idea of sitting with my kids to play, well,I don't sit and play with my kids.
Does that sound mean?
Well I don't.
I don't like playing tea party or Barbies. I don't want to have an epic battle wth the action figures. . I do however, love art and cooking and we do those things together. Pick something fun to do together and do it. But get this...your kids can play without you. It is healthy. So, help you kids learn better, be better, and act better by allowing their minds to grow through imagination play time.

No comments:

Post a Comment