Monday, February 11, 2013

Veggies meatballs. That's whats for dinner.

Here is another great meal that is packed full of veggies that your kids might love. I have five kids and two were sick so they didn't even try it and one had the meatballs with a drop of BBQ sauce that she said was the perfect touch and the other two ate it just the way I made it. Jerry and I also loved it. Awhile back I saw something like this in a cookbook but tonight it was 5:00pm and I had not even started on dinner and when I thought of that old recipe I was to lazy to even look for the book. I went to the freezer and pulled out some Turkey meat and put it in warm water for a faster thaw out. I went to the store to pick up the little ones med and came home still not really knowing how I would make some meatballs. I opened the fridge and saw carrots, orange bell peppers, broccoli, onions, and garlic. I took all that and adding the amount to my liking. You can add to your liking too. I diced everything so it was super tiny. The carrots I shaved off and than cut super tiny. With the broccoli I only used the green top part b/c it was softer than the stalk and easier to mix in the meat.  I also pulled out some bread crumbs from the pantry and add that with salt, pepper, and an extra seasoning.








I put it all into a bowl and added the now thawed out meat and mixed it together.









I heated up some coconut oil in a big pan with a lid b/c turkey meat does not have a lot of oil and sometimes sticks to the pan and than rolled the mixture into meatball size bites. I let it cook for maybe 10 mins...i didn't really time it so it is a guess on the time.
I did check each meatball to make sure it was cooked fully. Because I knew that there may be a bit of a fuss with the veggies in there I made the side dish super simple. Spaghetti noodles with corn added and topped with Parmesan cheese. I put the noodles in a bowl and topped it with a few meatballs per child. It was very yummy and packed full of veggies. You can add whatever vegetables you have on hand. It is a great way to sneak in a few extra ones that the kids may not love.
This is also great to do with normal spaghetti sauce and just have meatballs and spaghetti.....with a few hidden veggies. Try this tomorrow night, you might be surprised at what you can sneak into your kids diet.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I would do Charlene. Thanks for sharing. Five kids...wow, you go girl! It's a blessing to have your quiver full. Plan to add to your bunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace07 we are done birthing them but very open to adoption. No plans to but if the Lord opened that door or even gave us a surprise preg even with my tubes tied that would be super awesome. :)Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete