Sunday, May 31, 2015

I beat the alarm!

Even though I had my new, daily alarm set to remind me about writing I didn't need it. Yay, point for my memory. 

Let's talk cooking, shall we? There are many things I love doing. I am an artist, a poet, a photographer, and a dancer. Ok I am not a dancer but I would love to be. I have a small problem though, I have a hard time clapping and singing at the same time. I know, pathetic. The rest of the things are true and I am also a cook. About 3 or 4 years ago my twin posted a recipe on Facebook about a lemon chicken. She posted the link and that was it for me. The wonderful Ree Drummond of The Pioneer Woman had so many recipes on her page with step by step instructions and pictures for each of those steps. I am a full on visual gal and had wanted to learn how to cook a whole chicken because it would be cost efficient for my large family. She had the know how on her page. That sent me on a month of cooking and trying new things. I was hooked. My friend Rae bought my first favorite cookbook and I now have a million ( give or take a few) other kinds of cookbooks. 
               
I loved everything about this book. 
For Ree and her simple ways of teaching I am forever thankful. Now I love cooking more then any of the other things. To create and provide a meal for loved ones is a great feeling. 
I am also a huge fan of the Lodge cast iron skillet. I have three Dutch ovens. One small, one enamel covered, and the other a large black one. I also have two small pans, one large pan, and a flat pizza/burrito pan. Last weekend at our coming trip I had a normal ( not cast iron) metal stove top grill. It was sturdy and I used it often at home. At the camp I put it over the fire on a grill thing. It totally melted. I was a little embarrassed thinking maybe it didn't go on the fire. Then I remembered it went on the fire at home. It was just not up for a blazing ish fire. 
Today I went to Walmart and I replaced it with the best, a Lodge grill skillet. It cost only $20. 
I am pleased and can't wait to use it. 
I am thankful for a love of cooking and thankful for great cooking pans that won't fail me. I am thankful for an amazing stove. I am even thankful that it is dirty right now because it means we have food to cook and eat and full bellies.
What are some hobbies that you love and are thankful for?  

No comments:

Post a Comment