Monday, July 27, 2015

Trying new foods: a hit or miss?

A while back I told you about my cookbooks I bought from McKays used book store. I got tons of Food & Wine cookbooks for around .50 cents each.


I also wrote how I learned that setting big goals will at least help you have something to aim for. This seems very basic but it is new for me to actually want to walk it out for my self.

One of those goals is to try at least one new recipe each week.
Tonight, we had two! I am posting one of the recipes below. I would love to know if you end up makeing it and what you thought of the soup yourself.

The first one was only something I ate....you can guess why with the name of the soup. 
The second meal was a Curry and Yogurt- braised chicken thigh. Maybe I will post that recipe another day ( I was nervous about the yogurt part of it but you actually can't taste it at all) 


Sweet Potato, Chipotle, and Apple soup.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (i used olive oil bc it is what i had on hand)
    plus 1 cup for frying
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 Gala apples - peeled, seeded, and chopped. (i used whatever red apple i had)
1 celery rib, thinly sliced crosswise
 1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced. ( i just coarsely chopped everything bc it would all be blended later)
1 quart chicken stock
3 cups water
1 small canned chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced ( i did not have this and left it out, it still tasted great)
Salt and freshly ground white pepper. ( i am just now seeing that it said white pepper as i read this, i used black pepper)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips

-if you are new to cooking then my tip is to have everything out and pre-measured and chopped before you even get started. It makes things so much easier-

1.In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook over low hear, stirring until softened..7 mintues.
Add the apples and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 5 min.
Add the chicken stock and water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until fruit and vegetables are very tender, 45 minutes. Stir in the chipotle.

2. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. ( i used an Immersion blender so i kept it in the soup pot)
Season with salt and pepper, return to pot.

3. In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Heat the remaining 1 cup of oil in a mediun skillet.
Add the tortilla strips and fry over high heat, stirring until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes. 
Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Serve the soup in shallow bowls and garnish with fried tortilla strips.
-recipe by sue torres.2009 food and wine cookbook




I am thankful for a used bookstore where I can expand my food knowledge for pennies on the dollar.
I am thankful that Food and Wine printed cookbooks.
I am thankful that I am able to afford groceries for my family.
I am thankful that it turned out yummy and was not a waste of food.

I would love to know if you try this for your family.
This is a gluten free meal also so that is an added bonus


No comments:

Post a Comment