Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A scientist in the kitchen...

Remember the veggies I roasted a couple of days ago? I said I might use them in a soup and tonight I did just that. 

I knocked it out of the park! The soup was so good. ( well, according to the parents- Caleb said it was too healthy) 
The roasted veggies consisted of chopped rutabaga, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and turnips. They were dusted with herbs, salt, and pepper. 

Today I put about 1 cup of them into my vitamix with about 1 cup of homemade chicken broth, and some red bell peppers and blended. I added them back into a heavy bottom pot ( I used my dutch oven) and warmed them up. 


In a separate pan I cooked a few pieces of bacon that I already chopped to about a 1 inch size. When they were chrispy I drained the grease and added some left over chicken that I cooked yesterday. This picture was before I cooked the chicken. It had fresh and dried herbs and some butter. 

I chopped the chicken then added them into the hot pan with the cooked bacon and a bit of the bacon grease. 
I chopped some garlic ( about 3 cloves) and some red peppers and heated them all up together. 

I then added about 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the pan and another 1/4 cup of the broth and heated it up. 
Meanwhile I was heating up some corn and green beans with some chopped jalapeƱo, salt, and oregano. I used canned because that is what I had on hand. Fresh is great but you go with what you have and don't stress. I added about 3/4 of them back to the vitamix and about 1/4 cup of heavy cream and blended. You could add some broth or water for the liquid if you didnt want to use the cream. I imagine you could use coconut milk too.
 I also added some brown rice/ quinoa pan. I got it from Costco, It is one of those that all you have to do is heat it up. It's perfect for soups because it warms up as the liquid does. 

ended with added all it it back to the Dutch oven and heated it all throughly. 
A dopple of sour cream can be added to the top of you would like.
 I like. ;)  


Tonight I am thankful for being in my own kitchen and having a pantry full of food. I am thankful for the ability to try new things and to be creative. 







No comments:

Post a Comment